Re: fix broken regression tests - Mailing list pgsql-patches

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: fix broken regression tests
Date
List pgsql-patches
Gavin Sherry <swm@linuxworld.com.au> writes:
> On Wed, 15 Jan 2003, Tom Lane wrote:
>> My inclination at this point is to do sed 's/syntax error/parse error/'
>> in our grammar build rules so as to maintain backwards compatibility.

> How about we do that for 7.4 with a mention in the release notes / manual
> that 'syntax error' will release 'parse error' in some future
> release. Then again, isn't their a planned overhaul of error handling
> for 7.4 to bring it into line with SQL? If so, a change to parse error
> messages is the smallest problem facing users.

Yeah, but it's only planned not definite (and so far, no one's stepped
up to bat to make it happen).  What was in the back of my mind was to
switch the sed args to align with newer Bisons at the time we actually
start making major changes to the error return protocol.  I'd prefer to
stick users with a big change later rather than a small change now
*and* a big change later.

            regards, tom lane