Re: Management tool support and scalibility - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andrew McMillan
Subject Re: Management tool support and scalibility
Date
Re: Management tool support and scalibility  (Michael Meskes <meskes@postgresql.org>)
List pgsql-hackers
On Sun, 2002-02-03 at 18:25, Kevin wrote:

> E.g., Oracle 8i had a very nice management console (and from the glimpse
> of 9i I got, it's even better).  You could look at things like database
> schemas via a tree view, database physical layouts, user information,
> and connection information.  (I don't have it in front of me at the
> moment, so I'm sure there is more.)  In particular I was very interested
> in the ability to view not only what query a connection was doing, but
> which operations it did that took a long time to process (full table
> scans, etc), which one it is working on now, and how long that one will
> take.  I know a while ago someone was working on a way to get similar
> kinds of information by attaching to the backends via gdb or something
> equally dangerous/hackish/error-prone.  When would such an ability be
> put into the system itself?  (I believe Oracle does it through system
> tables, which I would think might be good for PostgreSQL, as it would be
> hard, and slow, to query each backend every time.)

I believe that TOra is starting to have support for PostgreSQL now,
although I haven't managed to get it working for myself yet :-)

Some of the guys in our office use it for Oracle management and seem to
think pretty highly of it.  I know it supports MySQL  as well - can't
wait until the PostgreSQL support is fully available.

Regards,                Andrew.
Andrew @ Catalyst .Net.NZ Ltd, PO Box 11-053, Manners St, Wellington
WEB: http://catalyst.net.nz/        PHYS: Level 2, 150-154 Willis St
DDI: +64(4)916-7201    MOB: +64(21)635-694    OFFICE: +64(4)499-2267      Are you enrolled at
http://schoolreunions.co.nz/yet?