Re: Management tool support and scalibility - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Peter Eisentraut
Subject Re: Management tool support and scalibility
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Kevin writes:

> E.g., Oracle 8i had a very nice management console (and from the glimpse
> of 9i I got, it's even better).  You could look at things like database
> schemas via a tree view, database physical layouts, user information,
> and connection information.  (I don't have it in front of me at the
> moment, so I'm sure there is more.)

Most of that information is now accessible via system views[1], so the
problem reduces mainly to writing a GUI for that.  In my mind, the problem
with writing such a GUI is that there isn't an easy choice of toolkit, and
most of us (active PostgreSQL developers) aren't well-versed in writing
GUIs.  Not that that's an excuse.

A point aside:  There's a MySQL GUI[2], which seems to be doing exactly
what you have in mind.

[1] http://developer.postgresql.org/docs/postgres/monitoring-stats.html
[2] http://www.mysql.com/downloads/gui-mysqlgui.html

--