Re: Performance (was: The New Slashdot Setup (includes MySql server)) - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Performance (was: The New Slashdot Setup (includes MySql server))
Date
List pgsql-hackers
"Hiroshi Inoue" <Inoue@tpf.co.jp> writes:
> Isn't it a fundamental principle to define primary(unique
> identification) constraint for each table ?
> I had never thought that the only one index of pg_attrdef
> isn't an unique identification index until I came across the
> unexpcted result of my DROP COLUMN test case.

Good point --- I was only thinking about the performance aspect, but
if we're going to have unique indexes to prevent errors in other
system tables then pg_attrdef deserves one too.

Actually, I have a more radical proposal: why not get rid of pg_attrdef
entirely, and add its two useful columns (adsrc, adbin) to pg_attribute?
If we allow them to be NULL for attributes with no default, then there's
no space overhead where they're not being used, and we eliminate any
need for the second table.