machine-dependent hash_any vs the regression tests - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject machine-dependent hash_any vs the regression tests
Date
Re: machine-dependent hash_any vs the regression tests  (Kenneth Marshall <ktm@rice.edu>)
Re: machine-dependent hash_any vs the regression tests  (Gregory Stark <stark@enterprisedb.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
So the proposed changes in hash_any make its hash values different
between big-endian and little-endian machines (at least for string keys;
for keys that are really arrays of int, I think the changes will
unify the behavior).  This means that the hash_seq_search traversal
order for an internal hash table changes, and it turns out this breaks
at least two regression tests: portals and dblink.  The portals test
is easy to fix by adding a couple of ORDER BYs, but the problem with
dblink is here:
 SELECT dblink_get_connections();  dblink_get_connections  ------------------------
!  {dtest1,dtest2,dtest3} (1 row)  SELECT dblink_is_busy('dtest1');
--- 714,720 ---- SELECT dblink_get_connections();  dblink_get_connections  ------------------------
!  {dtest1,dtest3,dtest2} (1 row)  SELECT dblink_is_busy('dtest1');

and right offhand I can't think of a simple way to force those array
elements into a consistent order.

No doubt that can be worked around, but does anyone wish to argue that
this whole thing is a bad path to be headed down?  We're not going to
gain a *whole* lot of speedup from the word-wide-hashing change, and
so maybe this type of headache isn't worth the trouble.