Re: Aggregate Push Down - Performing aggregation on foreign server - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Amit Langote
Subject Re: Aggregate Push Down - Performing aggregation on foreign server
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 2016/08/31 16:42, Pavel Stehule wrote:

>> On Wed, Aug 31, 2016 at 11:56 AM, Pavel Stehule <pavel.stehule@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>> It is pity - lot of performance issues are related to this missing
>> feature.
>>
>> I don't think you are being very clear about what feature you are
>> talking about.  The feature that Jeevan has implemented is pushing
>> aggregates to the remote side when postgres_fdw is in use.  The
>> feature you are talking about is evidently something else, but you
>> haven't really said what it is.  Or not in a way that I can
>> understand.
>>

> yes, It is not clear if FDW aggregate push down can be implemented together
> with internal aggregate push down. Aggregate push down ~ try to aggregate
> first when it is possible

What do you mean by "internal aggregate push down"?  Partition-wise
aggregation?  Aggregate/group by before join (something like [1])?  IIUC,
what Jeevan proposes in this thread is to implement the aggregate push
down API that is specific to FDWs in postgres_fdw.  Any other push down
work would need to use different APIs and would need to separately
proposed/discussed.

Thanks,
Amit

[1]