Re: Collation version tracking for macOS - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Jeff Davis
Subject Re: Collation version tracking for macOS
Date
Re: Collation version tracking for macOS
Re: Collation version tracking for macOS
List pgsql-hackers
On Sat, 2022-11-26 at 18:27 +1300, Thomas Munro wrote:
> Here's the first iteration.

I will send a full review shortly, but I encountered an ICU bug along
the way, which caused me some confusion for a bit. I'll skip past the
various levels of confusion I had (burned a couple hours), and get
right to the repro:

Install the latest release of all major versions 50-69, and compile
postgres against 70. You'll get:

=# select * from pg_icu_collation_versions('en_US') order by
icu_version;
 icu_version | uca_version | collator_version
-------------+-------------+------------------
 50.2        | 6.2         | 58.0.6.50
 51.3        | 6.2         | 58.0.6.50
 52.2        | 6.2         | 58.0.6.50
 53.2        | 6.3         | 137.51
 54.2        | 7.0         | 137.56
 55.2        | 7.0         | 153.56
 56.2        | 8.0         | 153.64
 57.2        | 8.0         | 153.64
 58.3        | 9.0         | 153.72
 59.2        | 9.0         | 153.72
 60.3        | 10.0        | 153.80
 61.2        | 10.0        | 153.80
 62.2        | 11.0        | 153.88
 63.2        | 11.0        | 153.88
 64.2        | 12.1        | 153.97
 65.1        | 12.1        | 153.97
 66.1        | 13.0        | 153.14
 67.1        | 13.0        | 153.14
 68.2        | 13.0        | 153.14
 69.1        | 13.0        | 153.14
 70.1        | 14.0        | 153.112
(21 rows)

This is good information, because it tells us that major library
versions change more often than collation versions, empirically-
speaking.

But did you notice that the version went backwards from 65.1 -> 66.1?
Well, actually, it didn't. The version of that collation in 66.1 went
from 153.97 -> 153.104. But there's a bug in versionToString() that
does the decimal output incorrectly when there's a '0' digit between
the hundreds and the ones place. I'll see about reporting that, but I
thought I'd mention it here because it could have consequences, as we
are storing the strings :-(

The bug is still present in 70.1, but it's masked because it went to
.112.

Incidentally, this answers our other question about whether the
collation version can change in a minor version update. Perhaps not,
but if they fix this bug and backport it, then the version *string*
will change in a minor update. Ugh.

Regards,
    Jeff Davis