Re: PATCH: Exclude temp relations from base backup - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From David Steele
Subject Re: PATCH: Exclude temp relations from base backup
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 3/26/18 1:06 PM, Stephen Frost wrote:

> * Teodor Sigaev (teodor@sigaev.ru) wrote:
>> Will autovacuum (or something else) complain about absense of relfile during
>> orphan table deleting? I mean, you get a base backup without temp tables,
>> then you try to run postgres on it and will it complain about existing
>> record in pg_class and absence of corresponding relfile?
>
> I would certainly hope not considering that's what happens during
> regular crash recovery also, so if there's an issue with that, we'd have
> a problem in released versions.

Agreed.  The logic for pg_basebackup was modeled off RemovePgTempFiles()
which is called at postmaster start.  We are just doing the cleanup in
advance (in the backup only, of course).

Thanks,
--
-David
david@pgmasters.net