Re: range_agg - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Jeff Davis
Subject Re: range_agg
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Tue, 2019-07-09 at 07:08 +0200, Pavel Stehule wrote:

> I am not against a multirange type, but I miss a explanation why you
> introduce new kind of types and don't use just array of ranges.
>
> Introduction of new kind of types is not like introduction new type.

The biggest benefit, in my opinion, is that it means you can define
functions/operators that take an "anyrange" and return an
"anymultirange". That way you don't have to define different functions
for int4 ranges, date ranges, etc.

It starts to get even more complex when you want to add opclasses, etc.

Ranges and arrays are effectively generic types that need a type
parameter to become a concrete type. Ideally, we'd have first-class
support for generic types, but I think that's a different topic ;-)

Regards,
    Jeff Davis