Re: Sheduler in Postgres - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Együd Csaba (Freemail)
Subject Re: Sheduler in Postgres
Date
List pgsql-general
OK, thank you. Yes we have a more native tool - the "at" service on NT/2K.

I wanted to boundle it into the application because I don't like to place
parts of the application outside the application. I wrote a scheduler
service sepcialy for the applications tasks. It works fine, but I thought
this should be inside the server.

Thak you,
  -- Csaba

-----Original Message-----
From: pgsql-general-owner@postgresql.org
[mailto:pgsql-general-owner@postgresql.org] On Behalf Of Christopher Browne
Sent: Saturday, December 11, 2004 5:09 AM
To: pgsql-general@postgresql.org
Subject: Re: [GENERAL] Sheduler in Postgres

The world rejoiced as csegyud@vnet.hu (Együd Csaba) wrote:
> Hi, I should schedule the execution of several stored procedures. Now
> I use an NT service for this, but as far as I know e.g. the Oracle has
> such a thing.  It would be great if I could fire procedures on a timer
> basis.
>
> Is there a better solution for this than mine?

Traditionally, PostgreSQL has consciously omitted such things where they
would merely be replicating existing operating system functionality.

On Unix, "cron" is the traditional service that provides this functionality.

I think there's a port to Windows NT, so you could presumably use that if
you haven't got any more "native" job scheduler.
--
output = reverse("moc.liamg" "@" "enworbbc")
http://www.ntlug.org/~cbbrowne/lsf.html

      joining column's datatypes do not match