Re: Regarding NOTIFY - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Kiriakos Georgiou
Subject Re: Regarding NOTIFY
Date
List pgsql-general
Yes, can do.  Just have an insert trigger on the jobs table that notifies the monitor, something like:

CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION notify_monitor()
RETURNS TRIGGER
LANGUAGE plpgsql
AS $$
    BEGIN
        NOTIFY monitor;
        RETURN NULL;
    END
$$

CREATE TRIGGER jobs_trigger
AFTER INSERT
ON jobs
FOR EACH STATEMENT
EXECUTE PROCEDURE notify_monitor();

Then all the monitor has to do is wait for notifications.  For C, see
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.1/static/libpq-notify.html
ruby-pg (the official ruby api to postgresql) has wait_for_notify(), which pretty much implements what the postgresql
docssuggest.

Kiriakos
http://www.mockbites.com