Re: Regarding NOTIFY - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Chris Travers
Subject Re: Regarding NOTIFY
Date
List pgsql-general
On Fri, Mar 9, 2012 at 8:53 AM, Bret Stern
<bret_stern@machinemanagement.com> wrote:
> We have a concrete batching application composed of two parts.
> 1. The Monitor.
> The Monitor cycles every 60 seconds, and looks into a Postgresql table
> for jobs to run. Primarily these jobs update Postgresql tables with
> data from external applications.
>
> 2. The Client.
> The client schedules orders etc.
>
> When a new product or customer is added to the Accounting or Batching
> Controller (both external applications; and databases) the Client user
> clicks a button and adds a job to run on the Monitor.
>
> Is it possible use the NOTIFY event to serve more like an interrupt,
> and trigger the Monitor to run immediately.

Yes.  Note that Notify fires when the transaction is committed, and
you have to poll the client library to see if one was received.

> Can it be used with VB?
> or
> Should I use LibPQ?

I believe the .net provider for PostgreSQL supports this.  I know
libpq does.  Maybe others here know better than I.

Best Wishes
Chris Travers