RE: converting .xls to delimited file - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Jeff Eckermann
Subject RE: converting .xls to delimited file
Date
List pgsql-general
Excel can do this for you, if you use File -> Save As...
You will find various file types available.  The list will vary according to
the completeness of your Excel installation.  I believe that at minimum you
should have "tab delimited text" available, and probably csv as well (don't
use csv, it's evil).  If I'm wrong, you'll need to get the MS Office CD and
reinstall Excel with more options checked...
If you want to import the result into Postgres, beware of CR characters, and
leading/trailing spaces in your fields.  Excel will tolerate those spaces in
non text-type fields, but Postgres will not.