Re: Images in the official documentation - Mailing list pgsql-docs

From Steve Atkins
Subject Re: Images in the official documentation
Date
List pgsql-docs
> On Feb 25, 2018, at 4:00 AM, Jürgen Purtz <juergen@purtz.de> wrote:
>
> As an addition to my mail from January 2016 concerning graphics
(https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/568A9148.30303%40purtz.de)I propose to use SVG (after switching to XML) - but
notan SVG which is generated by Inkscape or similar tools. Those editors generate very ugly and chatty commands. This
formis not easy to read or understand. Therefore we shall use nothing but a simple text editor and write every line by
ourself. The process is divided into two parts:
> As a basis we shall develop an SVG library containing a bunch of "atomic" symbols of simple graphical elements
(rectangle,arrow, ...) up to complex elements (magnetic disc, laptop, cloud, UML-elements, ...). The SVG routines
creatingthose symbols shall accept parameters for position, size, rotation, colour, ... . This library shortens the
individualSVG files, it ensures a consistent rendering of common graphical elements, it is diff-able, and it will reach
astable state - some day.

> The real graphics shall use the elements of the library and add individual SVG elements. The rules for this part are
thesame as above: create SVG commands with vi (or similar), store it in git.
> If such an approach works (we must distribute the docs across a wide range of different systems, a proof-of-system is
necessary)and the community accepts my proposal, I would like to work on the library-part - starting after finishing my
actualproject in about 6 weeks from now. The attached file contains a very first draft as of Jan. 2016.

Writing SVG by hand maybe doesn't seem the best idea.

I understand the attraction to people who want to store everything as diffable text, but images of this sort are
unlikelyto get updated by others, which means they're unlikely to be maintained as the things they're intended to
documentchange. It also means that the people best suited to generating diagrams are the least likely to do so, and
vice-versa.

Cheers,
  Steve