Re: Rapid disk usage spikes when updating large tables with GINindexes - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Jonathan Marks
Subject Re: Rapid disk usage spikes when updating large tables with GINindexes
Date
List pgsql-general
I believe that we have figured it out. It indeed was a WAL issue — the WAL wasn’t getting measured because it had been moved into an archived folder.

We resolved this in a two main ways:

1. By dramatically increasing max_wal_size to decrease the frequency of commits
2. By turning on wal_compression

We’re going to continue looking into whether we can reduce wal generation / write volume further by turning back on fast_update on our GIN indexes.