source of connection fails at pg startup? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Stuart McGraw
Subject source of connection fails at pg startup?
Date
Re: source of connection fails at pg startup?
Re: source of connection fails at pg startup?
List pgsql-general
When I start my postgresql server I get 11 messages reporting that "password
authentication failed for user 'postgres'" spaced about ~.5sec apart.
I increased the logging level to INFO, and added the application name to the
message format (after the pid) which resulted in:

   2018-05-21 23:04:44.395 MDT [20232][[unknown]] [unknown]@[unknown] LOG:  connection received: host=[local]
   2018-05-21 23:04:44.395 MDT [20232][[unknown]] postgres@postgres FATAL:  password authentication failed for user
"postgres"
   2018-05-21 23:04:44.395 MDT [20232][[unknown]] postgres@postgres DETAIL:  Password does not match for user
"postgres".
    Connection matched pg_hba.conf line 90: "local   all   all   md5"

This is on a Ububuntu-18.04 machine with postgresql-10.3 from Ubuntu.  As distributed
the pg_hba.conf line mentioned used "peer" authentication method, I have changed to
"md5".  When I change back to "peer" the error messages go away.  The processes are
too short-lived for me to catch with ps.  Successful connect message example:

   2018-05-21 23:25:13.577 MDT [21080][[unknown]] [unknown]@[unknown] LOG:  connection received: host=[local]
   2018-05-21 23:25:13.578 MDT [21080][[unknown]] postgres@postgres LOG:  connection authorized: user=postgres
database=postgres
   2018-05-21 23:25:13.579 MDT [21080][psql] postgres@postgres LOG:  disconnection: session time: 0:00:00.002
user=postgresdatabase=postgres host=[local]

My question is, how can I find out where the connections are coming from so I can
modify them to provide passwords (so I can go back to "md5")?  Are there startup-
time connections made by postgresql itself or is this likely from some Ubuntu-
specific configuration?

Thanks.