Re: Database OID xxxxx now seems to belong to "foo" - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Gauthier, Dave
Subject Re: Database OID xxxxx now seems to belong to "foo"
Date
Re: Database OID xxxxx now seems to belong to "foo"  (Richard Huxton <dev@archonet.com>)
List pgsql-general

I tried vacuum pg_database, no luck.   I shut down and restarted the DB and it seems to have fixed the problem.  Still, not sure why it happened in the first place or how to prevent it in the future.

From: pgsql-general-owner@postgresql.org [mailto:pgsql-general-owner@postgresql.org] On Behalf Of Gauthier, Dave
Sent: Tuesday, March 11, 2008 9:31 AM
To: pgsql-general@postgresql.org
Subject: [GENERAL] Database OID xxxxx now seems to belong to "foo"

Hi:

Trying (and failing) to attach to my DBs.  Getting...

database “foo_standby” has disappeared form pg_database

DETAIL: Database OID 2323523 now seems to belong to “foo”

 I have 2 dbs... foo and foo_standby.  Every midnight, I truncate foo_standby and load it up with all the current data from mu various sources.  If that’s successful, I then rename foo to foo_tmp, then rename foo_standby to foo, then rename foo_tmp to foo_standby.  This results in a minimal “down time” of the foo database ebcause the renames happen fast. And foo_standby is now my backup from the previous day, something I can switch back to if something goes wrong with the new foo db.

Anyway, “psql –l” does show my dbs.  There are other dbs for other projects and I can connect to those OK.  I just can’t connect to foo or foo_standby.

Q: What might have caused this problem and how can I avoid/prevent it in the future

Q: Can I salvage my foo and foo_standby DBs?

Thanks

-dave