Re: ERROR: relation . . . does not exist - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Christophe
Subject Re: ERROR: relation . . . does not exist
Date
List pgsql-general
On Aug 30, 2008, at 10:33 AM, Albretch Mueller wrote:
>  well, yeah! I would totally agree with you, but since I doubt very
> much "COPY FROM CSV" is part of the SQL standard to beging with, why
> not spice it up a little more?

I'd guess that coming up with a general algorithm to guess the type
from a column of CSV text would satisfy no one, since we'd always
miss a particular case that is important to someone (are times local
or UTC? Should we assume integer or float? Varchar or text?), and the
option is a forest of switches that would be extremely complex and
error prone.

This sounds very much like an application-domain problem, best solved
in the application domain.