Re: Renaming of pg_xlog and pg_clog - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Peter Eisentraut
Subject Re: Renaming of pg_xlog and pg_clog
Date
Re: Renaming of pg_xlog and pg_clog  (Oskari Saarenmaa <os@ohmu.fi>)
List pgsql-hackers
On 10/12/16 11:22 AM, Tom Lane wrote:
> The main problem we're trying to fix here is people thinking that
> something with "log" in the name contains discardable data.  Just
> relocating the directory without renaming it won't improve that.

I think it would help if we moved it to something like
"internal/pg_xlog" and "internal/pg_clog".  Keep the name but move it
out of sight.

We have a tool called pg_xlogdump in the standard installation.  initdb
has an option --xlogdir, pg_basebackup has --xlog and others.  Renaming
the xlog directory would make this all a bit confusing, unless we're
prepared to rename the programs and options as well.