Re: Renaming of pg_xlog and pg_clog - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Renaming of pg_xlog and pg_clog
Date
List pgsql-hackers
>> So this is still open for votes. Here are the candidates and who
>> voiced for what:
>> - pg_transaction: Michael P, Thomas M. => Current 0002 is doing that.
>> - pg_xact: David S, Robert
>> - pg_trans: Tom
>> - pg_transaction_status: Peter E.

> I think this would all be a lot easier if we just moved all the pg_*
> directories one directory down.

The main problem we're trying to fix here is people thinking that
something with "log" in the name contains discardable data.  Just
relocating the directory without renaming it won't improve that.

The relocation aspect was meant to address another problem, which
is making it easier to distinguish which parts of the tree should
be copied by tools like pg_basebackup.  But that's not what Michael
is asking for votes on.