Re: Foreign tables don't enforce the partition constraint - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Amit Langote
Subject Re: Foreign tables don't enforce the partition constraint
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Hi Ashutosh,

On 2017/04/03 15:49, Ashutosh Bapat wrote:
>>> Similarly, a partition constraint
>>> should also be enforced at the foreign server. Probably we should
>>> update documentation of create foreign table to mention this.
>>
>> That is a good idea.
>>
>> Here's the patch.

Thanks for creating the patch.

+    Constraints and partition bounds on foreign tables (such as

We use "partition constraint" instead of "partition bounds" to mean the
implicit constraint of a partition (there are a few instances of that in
the documentation).  So, perhaps this could be written as: Constraints
(both the user-defined constraints such as <literal>CHECK</>
or <literal>NOT NULL</> clauses and the partition constraint) are not
enforced by the core <productname>PostgreSQL</> system, ...

And once we've mentioned that a constraint means one of these things, we
need not repeat "partition bounds/constraints" in the subsequent
paragraphs.  If you agree, attached is the updated patch.

> I am not able to build documents on my laptop because of
> recent changes in d63762452434a3a046e8c7d130d5a77c594176e4. So, I was not
> able to check whether the patch builds or not. But I am hoping it builds
> well.

By the way, docs do build fine despite the error you see.

Thanks,
Amit

Attachment