Re: [GENERAL] NOTIFY command impact - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Rob Brucks
Subject Re: [GENERAL] NOTIFY command impact
Date
Re: [GENERAL] NOTIFY command impact  (Adrian Klaver <adrian.klaver@aklaver.com>)
List pgsql-general
That's a great thought!

Comparing between systems (one where I don't issue "notify" and one where I do every minute) yields the same thing:
one8k file named "0000".

If that's truly where notifications are stored, then it looks like I should be good, at least for storage.  But I
wonderif that file is only used to store notify commands during shutdown/startup?

Or if there are any considerations for memory usage…

--Rob

On 2/21/17, 4:38 PM, "Adrian Klaver" <adrian.klaver@aklaver.com> wrote:

    On 02/21/2017 02:19 PM, Rob Brucks wrote:
    > I did find a post a while back saying they were discarded, but I wanted
    > to double-check.
    >

    > I performed some tests to see if listens worked AFTER the notify was
    > issued, they were not.  This leads me to believe that the messages are
    > discarded when a listen does not yet exist.

    Seems the thing to do would be to monitor the size of :

    $PG_DATA/pg_notify/

    --
    Adrian Klaver
    adrian.klaver@aklaver.com