Re: Database Design Question - Mailing list pgsql-general

From David Johnston
Subject Re: Database Design Question
Date
List pgsql-general
The main concern to consider is whether there are any shared relationships
that the different projects all have (e.g., common logon users).  Since you
cannot query across different databases if there is shared information then
a single database would be preferred.  I think the concept you want to
consider further is "Schemas".  You can get the same kind of separation that
you would want with multiple databases with the possibility to have a
"global" schema that holds data common to multiple projects.

Also, I would suggest managing permissions by "group" roles and strictly
assigning "user/logon" roles to those group roles.

If, from an application standpoint, the structure does not matter then
consider the maintenance aspects of such a design.  The advantage of
multiple databases is that you can easily put each database onto its own
machine and individual applications can be brought offline without bringing
down all the applications.  Your admin tool will also have references to
each of the separate databases instead of a single database with multiple
schemas.  If you end up using maintenance functions and/or views they will
probably need to be installed and configured in each database.  At the same
time it becomes easier to look at the maintenance logs when each application
is independent (of course this depends on the tool and how schemas are
handled).

Dave