Re: Database Design Question - Mailing list pgsql-general

From John R Pierce
Subject Re: Database Design Question
Date
Re: Database Design Question
List pgsql-general
On 02/02/11 10:32 AM, Carlos Mennens wrote:
> I was sitting down thinking the other day about when is it good to
> generate a new database or just use an existing one. For example, lets
> say my company name is called 'databasedummy.org' and I have a
> database called 'dbdummy'. Now I need PostgreSQL to manage several
> applications for my company:
>
> - webmail
> - software
> - mediawiki
> - phpbb forum
>
> Now what I've been doing is just creating multiple tables in the
> 'dbdummy' database but each table is owned by different users
> depending on their role. Is this bad? Should I be creating new
> databases for each application above rather than one single company
> database?
>
> Just trying to understand good DBA design practice. This is obviously
> a very general question but any feedback on what good or bad issues
> would come from me dumping all my tables for applications in one
> database or spread out across multiple databases on PostgreSQL.

I would create a seperate database for each thing that has nothing to do
with the other things.    I doubt mediawiki and phpbb will ever share
any data, they are totally different applications, each is a self
contained world.  ditto your webmail.   the other item there,
'software', well, I have no idea what that means specifically.