Install postmaster as service in win2K - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Carlo Florendo
Subject Install postmaster as service in win2K
Date
List pgsql-general
Hi,

I was trying to install postgres as a service in win2k  It was both successful and unsuccessful.

Successful in the sense that I could connect to the server (coolio.ntsp.nec.co.jp) from another machine
by running

"psql -d test -h coolio.ntsp.nec.co.jp"

Unsuccessful in the sense that when I connect locally by

"psql -d test"

I get this error message:

connectDBstart() -- connect() failed: No such file or directory
 Is the postmaster running locally
 and accepting connections on Unix socket '/tmp/.s.PGSQL.5432'?

I checked the bottom part of the manual file postmaster-start.html and it said this:

---------start quote---------------
Alternatively, you'll get this when attempting Unix-socket communication to a local postmaster:

connectDBstart() -- connect() failed: No such file or directory
    Is the postmaster running locally
    and accepting connections on Unix socket '/tmp/.s.PGSQL.5432'?

The last line is useful in verifying that the client is trying to connect where it is supposed to. If there is in fact
nopostmaster
running there, the kernel error message will typically be either Connection refused or No such file or directory, as
illustrated.
(It is particularly important to realize that Connection refused in this context does not mean that the postmaster got
your
connection request and rejected it -- that case will produce a different message, as shown in Section 4.3.) Other error
messages
such as Connection timed out may indicate more fundamental problems, like lack of network connectivity.

How am I supposed to connect using TCP sockets and not UNIX sockets.  And why did it try to connect using UNIX sockets?

Many Thanks!

Carlo Florendo
NEC Telecoms
fcarlo@ntsp.nec.co.jp