Re: libpq and prepared statements progress for 8.0 - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From David Wheeler
Subject Re: libpq and prepared statements progress for 8.0
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Sep 20, 2004, at 12:34 AM, Bruce Momjian wrote:

> I think we should favor libpq usage wherever possible and only
> re-implement it in the native language when required, like for
> jdbc/java.
> I think having all interfaces take advantage of libpq improvements and
> features is a major win.  If we need to add things to libpq to make it
> easier, fine, but that is minor work compared to maintaining separate
> wire protocol for each interface language.

I don't normally post "me too" posts, but I think that what Bruce says
here is extremely important. The more drivers can rely on a single,
well-developed, and stable API to create a variety of drivers, the less
work *everyone* has to do. I think that this kind of pragmatic
componentization (to coin a phrase) can only be to the benefit of
PostgreSQL.

Regards,

David

PS: And for those who really want a Pure Perl implementation of a
PostgreSQL driver in Perl, I suggest you take a look at helping out
with DBD::PgPP:
  http://search.cpan.org/dist/DBD-PgPP/