Re: Connection & logging Problems - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Ralph Smith
Subject Re: Connection & logging Problems
Date
List pgsql-general
On Oct 19, 2007, at 8:25 PM, Tom Lane wrote:

> Ralph Smith <smithrn@u.washington.edu> writes:
>> When I:
>>     postgres@smithrn-ltb1:/usr/lib/postgresql/7.4/bin$ psql -U
>> airburst airburst -p 5433
>
>> I get:
>>     psql: FATAL:  IDENT authentication failed for user "airburst"
>
> This is not surprising, seeing that you're evidently logged in as
> postgres not airburst.  psql's -U option is basically guaranteed not
> to work under IDENT authentication: you have to be logged in as the
> same username, so -U is useless.  If that's not what you want,
> you need to change the pg_hba.conf file --- see
> http://www.postgresql.org/docs/7.4/static/client-authentication.html
> On a single-user box it wouldn't be unreasonable to use TRUST auth
> (at least for local connections); otherwise you probably want to
> think about setting up passwords.
>
>> My postgresql.conf has:
>>     syslog = 2 # 0                  # range 0-2; 0=stdout; 1=both;
>> 2=syslog
>>     client_min_messages = debug1
>>     log_min_messages = debug1
>>     log_min_error_statement = error
>
>> YET I'm getting NO logging in either /var/log/syslog nor in /var/log/
>> postgresql/postgresql-7.4-main.log
>
> I think Postgres is probably faithfully sending messages to the syslog
> daemon, and the syslog daemon is throwing 'em away because it's not
> configured to log 'em.  Check your local documentation for syslogd,
> but you probably need something like
>
> local0.*        /var/log/postgresql
>
> added to its configuration file.
>
>             regards, tom lane
Thanks Tom.

After much distraction and snooping, I see that I do need to add an
entry to /etc/syslog.conf

I'm leaning towards

postgres.*    /var/log/postgresql

I'll try that first.  Does anyone know if there is a way that I can
direct two different running versions of postgresql to different logs?

Thanks again!
Ralph Smith
smithrn@u.washington.edu