Re: problem with distinct not distincting... - Mailing list pgsql-general

From David Johnston
Subject Re: problem with distinct not distincting...
Date
List pgsql-general

So, the following returns one record as expected on 9.0.3:

SELECT DISTINCT ON (f) f, length(l)
FROM (VALUES ('David','Johnston'),('David','Smith')) x (f, l)
ORDER BY f

Try:

SELECT name, count(*) FROM drugs where customer_id IS NOT NULL GROUP BY name

To see whether the GROUP BY logic considers the names identical.

Using "name" as a column name also sometimes has issues so maybe try giving
it an alias:

SELECT ... FROM (SELECT name AS customer_name FROM drugs WHERE ....) AS
drug_aliased ...

DISTINCT ON has uses but I try to avoid it myself.  In this specific case
the "ON" is redundant since a simple DISTINCT will give you the same
results.

You also need to provide the PostgreSQL version and possibly server
platform.

David J.