Re: [pgsql-www] Software Patents - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Michael Paesold
Subject Re: [pgsql-www] Software Patents
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
Marc G. Fournier wrote:

> But, as a community it doesn't affect us either, since we don't include
> patent'd software, and if we are made aware of a patent related issue, we
> work to remove it

I think you are overly optimistic that PostgreSQL is actually patent free.
The community just only stumbled over ARC, but there could be many more
pieces of PostgreSQL possibly infringing patents...

What if someone will come and tell the community that PostgreSQL uses 50
ideas or algorithms patented by someone else? Will you be happy about
removing all issues? Will that be possible at all?

Best Regards,
Michael Paesold