Re: [HACKERS] Solution to the pg_user passwd problem !?? (c) - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From D. Dante Lorenso
Subject Re: [HACKERS] Solution to the pg_user passwd problem !?? (c)
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Crypt sounds good.  I like that Idea.  I also use the unix crypt
function to password protect httpd.

Right now this is done with PERL doing the encryption and sticking
it into the database in a char field.  Then, another prog dumps
the passwords periodically into the httpd password file.

This would allow me to export the crypted passwords to the webserver
as well?  It would be convenient to be able to use the same password
in both places.

------- OTHER WISE ---- CAN WE STEAL IDEAS FROM OTHERS? --------

I'm also running MySQL (trying to switch to PG, but waiting for ODBC
to catch up), I like the mysql feature of inserting passords by:

    insert into user (host,user,password)
    values ("domain.com","dlorenso",password('psswrd');

then if I

    select (host,user,password) * from user;

I will get something like:

| domain.com | dlorenso | 2cfcb63e23e2d463 |

Dante

|  _ dlorenso@afai.com - D. Dante Lorenso  | Network Administrator |
| | |__ / o \| '_|/ o_\|  \ |\_ _\/ o \    | Accounting Firms      |
| http://www.afai.com/~dlorenso            | http://www.afai.com/  |