Re: backup/restore buttons deactivated - Mailing list pgadmin-support

From John DeSoi
Subject Re: backup/restore buttons deactivated
Date
List pgadmin-support
On Nov 21, 2005, at 4:49 PM, Dave Page wrote:

> We always build against the absolute latest version of PostgreSQL -
> pg_dump is backwards compatible so it should always work. Of course,
> it's not beyond he realms of possibility that it might produce a dump
> that cannot be re-imported into an old version of PostgreSQL, but
> if you
> run into that situation, about all you can do is either upgrade, or
> replace pg_dump with an older version.

The effort may not be warranted here, but for my applications which
need PostgreSQL utilities I have 3 options:

1. built-in version included with the distribution (default)
2. whatever is found on the program path
3. the user can specify the PostgreSQL bin path to use

>> I think that I can find a way to copy pg_dump and pg_restore into the
>> bundle (during "make install"), but I'll be very busy the
>> next few days,
>> so it'll have to wait until the weekend.
>>

> OK, great - thanks.

Excellent, I think this is the best option.

John DeSoi, Ph.D.
http://pgedit.com/
Power Tools for PostgreSQL