Re: normalization problem - Mailing list pgsql-interfaces

From Michael Davis
Subject Re: normalization problem
Date
List pgsql-interfaces
What problem are you trying to solve?

Michael Davis
Database Architect and Senior Software Engineer, Seva Inc.
Email:        mdavis@sevainc.com

-----Original Message-----
From:    pooja agarwal [SMTP:jussna@sancharnet.in]
Sent:    Sunday, October 07, 2001 12:06 AM
To:    pgsql-interfaces@postgresql.org
Subject:    normalization problem
<< File: ATT00070.htm >> Hello ,

I am doing Masters in Computer Application from Allahabad ( India ).
Your article on normalization is very informative.However, I have a
problem relating to this topic, whose table I am unable to
correctly make.

I am mailing you the problem.I hope you don't mind.
This database is used for searching of party or rules on the basis of either judge's name,judgement date,act as
reference
or citation.       Type    Party    Act    Judge_name    Judgement_date    Citation          Direct tax      A     IT
Act   PK    1    4         Direct tax      B    WT Act    PK    2    5         Direct tax      A    WT Act    SK    1
4         Direct tax      D     IT   Act    KIP    3    6         Company law      C    MRTP Act    PK    1    7
Company law     C    Labour  Act    YK    1    7         Company law      F    Labour law    KIP    3    8

     Citation     Publication    Year     Volume
          Page
                 4    AIR    1999    1    34           4    CTR    1999    2    65           5    AIR    1999    1
65          5    CTR    1999    3    30           6    AIR    2000    2    100           6    CTR    2000    5    34
          7

    AIR    1999    4    70

     Judgement_date    Year    Month    Date          1    1999    Jan     26         2    1999    March     30
3   2000    July     26

     Act    Section    Rule         IT Act       1    R1         IT Act       2    R2         WT Act        1    R3

As you can see, these tables are related to each other on the basis of some common

field and the attributes have in most cases either one to many or many to many relation.

Kindly, help me sovle this problem.

Hoping to receive your reply at the earliest,

thanking you,

pooja