Re: Will Open Source be forced to go Proprietary - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Chris Travers
Subject Re: Will Open Source be forced to go Proprietary
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
----- Original Message -----
From: "Joshua D. Drake" <jd@commandprompt.com>
> Yes I did see that. Actually from what I know of the GPL, this could very
> well be the case.

The GPL specifically allows non-Free/Open Source components to talk to GPL'd
applications via pipes and sockets.  I am assuming here that network sockets
are included, so there is NO copyright reason that, were the protocol
reverse engineered that a third-party mysql driver couldn't be written.  Of
course, you could NOT use the MySQL source to do it.

Best Wishes,
Chris Travers