Re: Will Open Source be forced to go Proprietary - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: Will Open Source be forced to go Proprietary
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
Joshua D. Drake wrote:

> >I think this does:
> >
> >    http://www.edwardbear.org/serendipity/archives/1193_My_Beef_with_MySQLs_License.html
> >
> >It includes an analysis from PHP's Sterling saying that MySQL
> >interpretation that anything that "depends" on MySQL prevents such a
> >client, and quotes from MySQL's CEO.
> >

> I see no where, where MySQL states that they will use Patents to enforce
> their licenses.

Sorry, someone had told me patents, but it is actually copyright because
the GPL uses copyright law.  They are saying anything that talks to GPL
software has to be GPL, and that includes a reverse-engineered client
library.