Re: [GENERAL] interesting PHP/MySQL thread - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Christopher Kings-Lynne
Subject Re: [GENERAL] interesting PHP/MySQL thread
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
> on that PostgreSQL was an improvement over MySQL.  He's slowly coming
> around as I start to show him what I am doing with the much richer
> PostgreSQL feature set, but the performance of 7.3 compared to MySQL is
> likely to remain a bit of a sticking point, because some queries are
> taking 2-3 times as long on the same platform with the same data.

The only conceivable reason for that is poor query optimisation on the part
of the database and query designers...

> If the data entry folks, who are probably about to get a look at a portion
> of the application that is still using the MySQL engine, get used to the
> search times there, when we switch the whole thing over to PostgreSQL we
> may get complaints if searches that used to take 3-4 seconds are now
> taking 10-12 seconds.  (Have others noticed that 7 seconds seems to be
> a threshold point for users reacting to query times?)

Huh? Tsearch in postgresql's contrib dir is as fast as if not faster than
MySQL's FULLTEXT indexes in my experience...  Don't tell me you're just
using LIKE comparisions?  I have searches using tsearch over 30000 food
brands and decriptions that take about 100ms.

> MySQL also does case independent text comparisions, and apparently ONLY
> case-insensitive comparisons.

What do you mean 'independent test comparisons'?

Chris