Re: [GENERAL] interesting PHP/MySQL thread - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Sean Chittenden
Subject Re: [GENERAL] interesting PHP/MySQL thread
Date
Re: [GENERAL] interesting PHP/MySQL thread  ("Arjen van der Meijden" <acm@tweakers.net>)
List pgsql-advocacy
> I know it took me a while to convince the CIO on the project I'm working
> on that PostgreSQL was an improvement over MySQL.  He's slowly coming
> around as I start to show him what I am doing with the much richer
> PostgreSQL feature set, but the performance of 7.3 compared to MySQL is
> likely to remain a bit of a sticking point, because some queries are
> taking 2-3 times as long on the same platform with the same data.
>
> If the data entry folks, who are probably about to get a look at a portion
> of the application that is still using the MySQL engine, get used to the
> search times there, when we switch the whole thing over to PostgreSQL we
> may get complaints if searches that used to take 3-4 seconds are now
> taking 10-12 seconds.  (Have others noticed that 7 seconds seems to be
> a threshold point for users reacting to query times?)

Whoa, something's not right.  Could you please send along an EXPLAIN
ANALYZE after doing a VACUUM ANALYZE of your query that's taking 3-4x
longer?  Something smells very strange here because my experience has
been quite the opposite...  I can understand 0.05ms longer per
connection in setup overhead (fork() vs new thread) , but this seems
like way too much... I wonder if you couldn't benefit from the use of
a cursor if you're returning a large dataset.  -sc

http://developer.postgresql.org/docs/postgres/sql-declare.html
http://developer.postgresql.org/docs/postgres/sql-fetch.html
http://developer.postgresql.org/docs/postgres/sql-close.html

--