Re: Oracle to PostgreSQL help: What is (+) in Oracle select? - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Joe Conway
Subject Re: Oracle to PostgreSQL help: What is (+) in Oracle select?
Date
List pgsql-sql
> A select is done across two tables, however when joining the foreign
> key, the right hand side of the equallity has (+) appended
>
> SELECT o.* from one o, two t where o.key = t.key(+)
>
> Does anyone know what this does and how I can reproduce the select in
> PostgreSQL?

Hi Chris,

The (+) in Oracle is for an outer join. See
http://www.postgresql.org/devel-corner/docs/postgres/sql-select.html , in
the join-type description, left outer join. Outer joins are only available
in PostgreSQL 7.1, which is currently in the late stages of beta testing.

Hope this helps,

Joe