Re: RPM source files should be in CVS (was Re: psql -l) - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Lamar Owen
Subject Re: RPM source files should be in CVS (was Re: psql -l)
Date
List pgsql-general
On Friday 20 July 2001 11:25, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> I am slightly concerned about bloating our CVS tree.

[lowen@utility pgsql]$ du -s *
4       COPYRIGHT
20      CVS
276     ChangeLogs
4       GNUmakefile.in
124     HISTORY
36      INSTALL
4       Makefile
4       README
4       aclocal.m4
160     config
240     configure
36      configure.in
3520    contrib
7196    doc
4       register.txt
30128   src
[lowen@utility pgsql]$

The RPM additions are:
56      contrib-intarray.tar.gz
4       file-lists.tar.gz
180     jdbc7.0-1.1.jar
92      jdbc7.1-1.2.jar
8       migration-scripts.tar.gz
4       postgresql-7.1.plperl.patch
4       postgresql-7.1.s390x.patch
4       postgresql-bashprofile
4       postgresql-dump.1.gz
8       postgresql.init
20      README.rpm-dist
4       rh-pgdump.sh
8       rpm-pgsql-7.1.patch

Of which the two jar files are derived from the source and wouldn't be
necessary.  This totals 124K if I've done my math right.

The contrib-intarray.tar.gz is a new intarray from Red Hat -- I really need
to investigate this more closely....

'file-lists.tar.gz' may go away if I don't need to support older SuSE
distributions.

'migration-scripts.tar.gz' is a packaging of a few scripts used to perform a
dump using saved binaries from the previous installation.

The .patch files are system-specific and RPM-specific patches that probably
are not necessary to be applied to the main tree, as they mostly involve
paths (particularly for the regression tests), with the exception of the s390
patch.  I can send these patches to the list easily enough -- the s390 patch
is also a Red Hat contribution.

'postgresql-bashprofile' is a .bashprofile placed into $PGDATA during RPM
installation (and, yes, unless someone goes and changes it the default shell
for the 'postgres' user is installed as bash).

'postgresql-dump.1.gz' is a man page for 'postgresql-dump' -- part of the
migrations-scripts tarball.

'rh-dump.sh' is another migration script that I really should fold into the
migrations-scripts tarball....  Although any of these migration scripts are a
mite cantankerous, as a pg_dumpall from 6.5.x to be restored on 7.1.x has
been shown to fail in certain instances (documented in the archives).  Most
noticeable is the '60 minute' problem in 6.5's time types.  7.1.x takes a 6.5
dump a little easier than 7.0 did, though, IME.

'postgresql.init' is the initscript installed into
/etc/rc.d/init.d/postgresql.

'README.rpm-dist' tries to document the RPM differences and _why_ there are
RPM differences in the first place.  While I technically _could_ patch the
installed SGML documentation sources to reflect the RPM installation, I have
not yet done so.  README.rpm-dist is also available for perusal via the
website as
http://www.postgresql.org/ftpsite/binary/v7.1.2/RPMS/README.rpm-dist linked
off of http://www.postgresql.org/sites.html .

I'll be happy to document or discuss any of these files with anyone.
--
Lamar Owen
WGCR Internet Radio