Bug list? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Micah Yoder
Subject Bug list?
Date
List pgsql-general
Hi,

I [think I] found a bug, and tried to send a report to pgsql-bugs and it
never showed up there.

The *very brief* version:

I have a hierarchy of tables using Postgres's inheritance feature.  In the
root table I have a serial type which is a primary key.  Another table (not
in the hierarchy) has a foreign key to the primary key of the top table in
the hierarchy.

When I insert a record with a foreign key that references an object in a
descendent table, I get a referential integrity error.  But when it
references an item that is simply a member of the top class, no problem - the
foreign key works then.

If I select * from the top class, both records show up, along with their id
primary key.  So why can't a foreign key refer to the one that is a member of
a subclass?

I'm using 7.1.2

Thanks,
Micah