Re: Log files, how to rotate properly - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Lamar Owen
Subject Re: Log files, how to rotate properly
Date
List pgsql-general
On Wednesday 13 June 2001 10:38, Martín Marqués wrote:
> OK, if I enable syslog at configure time, how can I filter out the messages
> that come from postgres? Something like what I have for mail going to
> /var/log/maillog.
> Is it posible?

Yes.  In postgresql.conf you can assign the syslog facility to use, along
with other good stuff. Then in /etc/syslog.conf you direct that facility to
whereever you wish -- even splitting out FATAL and ERROR to the console, if
you so desire.  Then configure your log roller (such as the logrotate system
Red Hat uses) to do whatever you want.

> If syslog is the best option, why shouldn't it come for default, and why
> should there be a -l <file> option in pg_ctl?
> If you satisfy my doubts, I'll recompile enabling syslog right now!

Multiple logging types is good.  Syslog isn't available on all platforms
PostgreSQL works on.

But you _can_ configure and compile with syslog support _on_ and either not
use it, or use it in conjunction with a regular log -- things are flexible.
And flexible is good.
--
Lamar Owen
WGCR Internet Radio