Re: Log files, how to rotate properly - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Martín Marqués
Subject Re: Log files, how to rotate properly
Date
List pgsql-general
On Mié 13 Jun 2001 22:53, Lamar Owen wrote:
> On Wednesday 13 June 2001 13:20, Dave Cramer wrote:
> > The interesting thing is that if I redirect the output of postmaster,
> > then every connection has this file open.
> >
> > Is there a way to tell postgres to release the log file, or am I
> > completely off base here?
>
> Use syslog.  Syslog has many advantages:
> 1.)    Easily rollable.
> 2.)    Redirectable to various files and/or remote machines -- including
> hardcopy, and including multiple files at once (splitting).
> 3.)    PostgreSQL 7.1 has excellent syslog support.
> 4.)    You don't have to shut anything down to roll the logs.
> 5.)    Thanks to item 2, you could have a single syslog machine accept the
> syslog output of multiple PostgreSQL servers, integrating the log into one,
> if you wish.

OK, if I enable syslog at configure time, how can I filter out the messages
that come from postgres? Something like what I have for mail going to
/var/log/maillog.
Is it posible?
If syslog is the best option, why shouldn't it come for default, and why
should there be a -l <file> option in pg_ctl?
If you satisfy my doubts, I'll recompile enabling syslog right now!

Saludos... :-)

--
Cualquiera administra un NT.
Ese es el problema, que cualquiera administre.