Re: A more useful way to split the distribution - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Christopher Sawtell
Subject Re: A more useful way to split the distribution
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Sun, 08 Apr 2001 11:24, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> Since people suddenly seem to be suffering from bandwidth concerns I
> have devised a new distribution split to address this issue.

[  ...  snipping the many tarballs argument  ...  ]

For me and I expect many other folk on the edge of civilization it is a
total PITA to have to fiddle around and download many separate tarball
files. What I want is to be able to start a d/l going and then come back
when it's finished and know that I have _everything_ I actually need to
have a working and documented product in one shot.

For developers, contributors and testers and I would like to suggest that
an exact snapshot of the complete CVS source archive is appropriate.  We
can then track the changes every day using cvs or cvsup - wonderful tool
btw -

What is really _really_ needed is a text README which explains exactly
what file contains.

Personally I have found that the limitations of the packaging systems to
be such a nuisence that I always compile everything from source.

--
Sincerely etc.,
NAME       Christopher SawtellCELL PHONE 021 257 4451ICQ UIN    45863470EMAIL      csawtell @ xtra . co . nzCNOTES