Re: A more useful way to split the distribution - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Peter Eisentraut
Subject Re: A more useful way to split the distribution
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Christopher Sawtell writes:

> For me and I expect many other folk on the edge of civilization it is a
> total PITA to have to fiddle around and download many separate tarball
> files. What I want is to be able to start a d/l going and then come back
> when it's finished and know that I have _everything_ I actually need to
> have a working and documented product in one shot.

Right.  The only reason for splitting the distribution is to cater to the
fictitious crowd with "bandwidth problems" or those that explicitly know
that they don't need the rest.  There will still be a canonical full
tarball with everything, or at least I will not put my name to something
that abolishes it.  In fact, I didn't like the idea of the split tarballs
in the first place, I'm merely changing the split to something more
useful.