Re: what data type to store fixed size integer? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From David Johnston
Subject Re: what data type to store fixed size integer?
Date
List pgsql-general

I probably do not give size and performance characteristics as much precedence as I should but using a varchar makes the model more flexible if you decide to change the identifier format.  If you plan on simply using a serial that starts at 1-million then OK but if you are picking these numbers on some basis then varchar is something to consider.

Given the limited information supplied my mind just tends to jump to the fact that  you are limiting input to numbers only where that may be an overly strict limitation.  The other consideration is whether you fully control the assignment of those values.If you do not then the assumption is even more hazardous since the external format could already be character based.

That said it likely would be more benefical to use the smaller, restricted dataset if those limitations are acceptable.