Re: Re: patch submission: truncate trailing nulls from heap rows to reduce the size of the null bitmap [Review] - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Amit Kapila
Subject Re: Re: patch submission: truncate trailing nulls from heap rows to reduce the size of the null bitmap [Review]
Date
In response to Re: Re: patch submission: truncate trailing nulls from heap rows to reduce the size of the null bitmap [Review]  ("Kevin Grittner" <kgrittn@mail.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
On Monday, December 24, 2012 7:58 PM Kevin Grittner wrote:
> Simon Riggs wrote:
>
> > Not really sure about the 100s of columns use case.
> >
> > But showing gain in useful places in these more common cases wins
> > my vote.
> >
> > Thanks for testing. Barring objections, will commit.
>
> Do we have any results on just a plain, old stock pgbench run, with
> the default table definitions?
>
> That would be a reassuring complement to the other tests.

Sever Configuration:
The database cluster will be initialized with locales  COLLATE:  C  CTYPE:    C  MESSAGES: en_US.UTF-8  MONETARY:
en_US.UTF-8 NUMERIC:  en_US.UTF-8  TIME:     en_US.UTF-8

shared_buffers = 1GB
checkpoint_segments = 255
checkpoint_timeout = 15min

pgbench:
transaction type: TPC-B (sort of)
scaling factor: 75
query mode: simple
number of clients: 8
number of threads: 8
duration: 600 s

Performance: Average of 3 runs of pgbench in tps
9.3devel  |  with trailing null patch
578.9872  |   573.4980

With Regards,
Amit Kapila.