Re: can't get UPDATE ... RETURNING ... INTO ... to compile successfully - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Dale Harris
Subject Re: can't get UPDATE ... RETURNING ... INTO ... to compile successfully
Date
Re: can't get UPDATE ... RETURNING ... INTO ... to compile successfully
List pgsql-general

As per the original message:

>I've got some code which postgres 8.3.3 won't accept.  Postgres doesn't like the INTO clause on RETURNING INTO and I've tried following the documentation.

>UPDATE "EntityRelation" SET "Status" = inStatus, "Modified" = Session_TimeStamp(), "ModifiedBy" = UserID() WHERE ("RelationID" = inRelationID) AND ("EntityID" = inEnityID) AND IsEqual(inRelatedID, "RelatedID") RETURNING "Default" INTO oldDefault;

>Does anyone have any ideas if the INTO clause actually works at all for an UPDATE statement?

And documentation link which advises that the UPDATE statement should be able to return a value into a variable in plpgsql.

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.3/static/plpgsql-statements.html

The query above is out of my plpgsql script and the WHERE clause selects an unique record.  Therefore only 1 value should ever be returned.  The point is that I don’t even get that far as the script fails to compile due to the INTO clause.

Regards,

Dale.