Sequencial scan over primary keys - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Vilson farias
Subject Sequencial scan over primary keys
Date
Re: Sequencial scan over primary keys  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
Re: Sequencial scan over primary keys  (Michael Fork <mfork@toledolink.com>)
List pgsql-general
Hello,

    I need help in case below. My table tipo_categoria has a primary key,
called cod_categoria When I use this key as parameter for my sql script, the
result of execution is a sequencial scan, but this is a PRIMARY KEY, it does
has an index. How can it be explained?

sitest=# CREATE TABLE tipo_categoria (
sitest(#        cod_categoria        smallint NOT NULL,
sitest(#        descricao            varchar(40),
sitest(#        CONSTRAINT XPKtipo_categoria PRIMARY KEY (cod_categoria)
sitest(#
sitest(# );
NOTICE:  CREATE TABLE/PRIMARY KEY will create implicit index
'xpktipo_categoria' for table 'tipo_categoria'
CREATE
sitest=# copy tipo_categoria from '/home/postgres/categ.txt';
COPY
sitest=# explain select * from tipo_categoria where cod_categoria = 1;
NOTICE:  QUERY PLAN:

Seq Scan on tipo_categoria  (cost=0.00..22.50 rows=10 width=14)

EXPLAIN
sitest=# \di
           List of relations
        Name        | Type  |  Owner