Re: plpgsql mixing variable in SELECT INTO ? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Ben-Nes Michael
Subject Re: plpgsql mixing variable in SELECT INTO ?
Date
List pgsql-general
Hi Tom, here is simple example of the problem.

ver 7.3.2

CREATE TABLE test (
col1 int,
col2 int,
col3 int
);

INSERT INTO test VALUES (1, 2, 3);

CREATE FUNCTION test() RETURNS INTEGER AS '
DECLARE
var1 test%ROWTYPE;

BEGIN
SELECT col3, col2 INTO var1 FROM test;
RETURN var1.col2||var1.col3;

END;'
LANGUAGE 'plpgsql';

# SELECT test();
 test
------

(1 row)

the result of the function is empty string.

If i change the select to * or add col1 ( SELECT col1, col3, col2 INTO var1
FROM test; ) the function will work fine.

so it seems that order does matter and one canot ommit the first field in
the table structure.

Hope this can help

Canaan Surfing Ltd.
Internet Service Providers