Re: read this and puke - Mailing list pgsql-general

From chris.gamble@CPBINC.com
Subject Re: read this and puke
Date
List pgsql-general
I think a big bonus for postgres would be more and better FAQ's. Several
issues that I have run into trying to transition myself and my developers
from MSSQL and MySQL have only been resolved through hours of usenet
searches (at least until I subscribed to the pgsql-general system.)

I admit that I may just not know where to find all of the good dirt on
postgres, but that is a large part of the problem.

Some good questions that I have dealt with since starting postgres:

when I run a query comparing a float8 > 3343432, why will it not use the
index. The best answer I found is that I have to quote the number (leaving
it unquoted the parser complains about some float8 compirson not defined.).

case sensitive searches. I have seen the FAQ on this, but for my developers
this has been hard to swallow. It has even caused me a great deal of
headaches (i need a like search for address, city and state in case
insensitive, but to date just deal with only using a UCASE(state) index -- a
little on the slow side). This would be useful to have stronger comparisons
against other leading db's (i have heard that oracle suffers this problem as
well.)

This being said, i personally think that postgres is a VERY powerful
database solution that I enjoy using.