Re: Changing the sponsors page - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From PostgreSQL - Hans-Jürgen Schönig
Subject Re: Changing the sponsors page
Date
List pgsql-advocacy

On Thu, May 12, 2011 at 5:49 PM, Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> wrote:
All,

http://www.postgresql.org/about/sponsors

I don't like this page.  I've been dragging my feet on updating it
because I don't think it works the way it is at all.

The current scheme of Platinum/Gold/Silver/Bronze was designed by Josh
Drake, and put through because he did the web work to make it happen.
However, I don't think the criteria there make a lot of sense, and we've
never had consensus on the "level" scheme -- we've just kept what's
there because nobody could be bothered to rework it.  Furthermore, I
don't think it's possible to come up with a consensus on any system
which involves more than 2 levels and apply it.

Therefore, I would like to simplify this page into two categories: Major
Sponsors and Sponsors.

Major Sponsors would be companies who have supported one or more
full-time contributors, or the equivalent, for more than one year.

Sponsors would be any company who has consistently contributed
substantial developer time and/or money to PostgreSQL (i.e. several
$thousand) for a year or more.  A company which does *only* event
sponsorships wouldn't count, because they already get credit through the
event.

I think this scheme would be a lot simpler and easier to maintain, and
result in less arguing about what level someone should be.

I think that is a good idea. And, a simpler way to reflect the commitment of
those organizations supporting the community in a more democratic way (this
isn't for a conference after all). It also allows you to recognize those in
the community that have invested significant resources to further the
development of PostgreSQL.

i would argue along the same line. two levels are enough.
major sponsor and sponsor seems like a good idea.

talking about this page: i just noticed that we are not on.
we have done a fair amount of ECPG patches and some other issues in the past.
maybe you can put us on as well ... we have been around for 11 years after all ;).

many thanks,

hans

--
Cybertec Schönig & Schönig GmbH